Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Schnitzel




Oh yes, it’s that time of year: the annual Shanahan Schnitzel extravaganza. I think mom made about 1,000 pork schnitzels (and a few chicken for the misfit) and spent hours preparing all of them. Her process has changed slightly, I don’t think she actually tenderized them time opting to buy thinner slices of meat, but she actually has a tenderizer now! This is an upgrade to when I was in elementary school in Germany. I remember the days of no central heat, one channel on television, a challenging academic curriculum, tagging along downtown with Ste-UH-nee, and mom tendering our schnitzels with a beer bottle.

It boggles the mind but I guess if anyone can pull that off without glass shards in your food it’s mom.

Fun to watch TJ eat his first schnitzel, I’ve never been as big of a fan as Steph but mom's are actually very good and I love anything that reminds me of Germany – but he loved it. TJ was pouring brown gravy and squeezing lemons over them like a pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment